Understanding Your Options:
What are Medicare Supplements?
Have you ever thought in regards to Medicare Supplements:
- “I’m turning 65, so what do I really need to know about Medicare Supplements?”
- “Medicare Supplements are confusing! Help!”
- “What about prescriptions? Are those covered?”
If this is you, keep reading!
A simple explanation
Medicare Supplement Insurance (also known as Medigap) plans are private insurance plans sold by private insurance companies to people with Medicare. These plans are designed to pick up the high deductibles and cost shares of original Medicare, such as “copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.” (medicare.gov)
According to Medicare.gov:
“If you have Original Medicare and you buy a Medigap policy, Medicare will pay its share of the Medicare-approved amount for covered health care costs. Then your Medigap policy pays its share.”
Medicare Supplements do not replace or cancel your Medicare coverage. You still have all the benefits of your Medicare plan.
Great benefits to Medicare Supplements!
- There are some plans that offer coverage when you travel outside of the US.
- As long as you keep paying your monthly premium, your Medicare Supplement Insurance plan will not be cancelled and can be continually renewed even if you develop health issues. So never stop paying your monthly payments without checking with your Medicare Supplements agent first!
Keep these in mind as you consider getting Medicare Supplements:
- As of today, Medicare Supplement Insurance plans don’t cover prescriptions. Call Asurea today to learn more about your prescription coverage options.
- You must have a prescription drug plan through Medicare or you may have to pay a monthly penalty.
- The costs for Medicare Supplements are in addition to your Part B premium. Call Asurea for an explanation.
- If you and your spouse are eligible, you may want to enroll together to enjoy multi-household discounts.
Doesn’t cover everything
While Medicare Supplements cover a lot, keep in mind they don’t cover everything:
- “Policies generally don’t cover long-term care, vision or dental care, hearing aids, eyeglasses, or private-duty nursing,” according to Medicare.gov.
No worries though. If you need these benefits, just contact Asurea today to get more information.
Warning – danger ahead!
When you turn 65, you have a period of time where you can apply for Medicare Supplements without medical underwriting (where you answer questions about your health history)! This is called a “guaranteed issue” period.
During this time, you are guaranteed to get any insurance plan available in your area without medical underwriting. It is imperative that you apply for Medicare Supplements during this time.
The Asurea Advantage
There are many advantages when you go through Asurea to get your Medicare Supplements.
Many different insurance companies sell Medicare Supplements. Asurea has access to over 40 of the nation’s top insurance companies, so we can look at your specific situation to give you the information you need to decide which insurance policy is right for you.
Adjusting your current plan
There are several reasons you may want to change or adjust your current plan, but it’s very important that you do not make any changes to your current plan until you contact your agent. Don’t stop paying your monthly payments without checking with your Medicare Supplements agent first, or your fees may be much higher when you get a new Medicare Supplement policy.
We are your Simple Solution to understanding Medicare Supplements
Understanding how Medicare Supplements work is more complicated than you may think. There is much more information to understand than what has been covered here. Asurea is here to be your Simple Solution to help make sense of it all. Contact Asurea today to get a simple explanation of what they are and why you need them. We will give you the information you need so that you can make the best choice for yourself.
More Simple Solutions For You
Asurea Insurance Services is the nation’s premier Insurance Marketing Organization that finds the perfect policy for your needs and budget. Asurea offers Mortgage Protection, Medicare Supplements, Final Expense, Retirement Solutions and Permanent Life Insurance.
Latest posts by Leslie Freeland (see all)
- Do Stay-at-Home Parents Need Life Insurance? - April 6, 2019
- Do You Need to Replace Your Life Insurance Policy? - March 7, 2019
- Reasons to Downsize - March 1, 2019